14 March 2006

Okay, to answer your questions:

Yes, Wilton's Cake Dye is essentially food coloring.. except gels instead of thin liquids so it doesn't take a lot of dye. I wash my wools once and rinse them twice after dyeing, then wash once and rinse twice after spinning. No fading or bleeding. The idea was recommended to me by a spinner on etsy, and I found a little more information before I bought them. Specifically this blog. Even more specifically, her January 1006 archives. She's moved on to acid dyes now, but her January archives are filled with posts about dyeing with Wilton's. Even more specifically, here is the tutorial she wrote. I like using the dyes, because like I said, it's very easy and it's full of surprises. It usually makes a nice handpainted look without the hassle of handpainting. Unfortunately, there are times when I want more specific colors, so I will be buying more "professional" dyes in the future.

3 Comments:

At 10:04:00 AM, Blogger Ragnar said...

verra verra interesting

I had looked into kool-ade dying but it seemed to take so much kool-ade that it wasn't particularly cheaper than using actual dye.

I shall have to investigate this.

 
At 1:22:00 PM, Blogger Beverley said...

Thanks! Off to Google Wilsons cake dyes.

Don't think I can get them here but will try the internet.

Knit on >^..^<

 
At 1:22:00 PM, Blogger Beverley said...

Oops I mean Wilton's!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home