29 March 2006

I actually have two knitting projects on the needles right now.. small ones, but still. I mentioned that I started Branching Out in my terracotta yarn, and that's going well. I also cast on for a baby bib in Bernat Cottontots. Why? Not sure, really. No kids are coming.. no friends have young babies.

It's this damn book I bought: Mason -Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns, Advice, Opinions, Questions, Answers, Jokes, and Pictures. Wow, that's a mouthful. This book is.. different from my normal knitting books, to say the least. It's like having two grandmas talk to me about knitting, which I never had. The patterns aren't that awesome.. they really like garter stitch.. but it's somewhat inspiring. They give you a basic idea, and then give you free reign to do whatever you want with it. They concentrate on the fun aspects of knitting.. the adventure of knitting even.. rather than the technical aspects. And it seems to be contagious.. because know I really, really want to knit.. even if it is just a garter stitch baby bib.


Beverly asked:
"Lovely yarn, what is this one going to be or are you going to sell it?"

I've actually already traded it off on etsy for this. Hey, I got wet when I do the dishes. This'll help.


Ragnar said:
"So what is the secret to spinning bulky slubby yarn. I know it's the typical spinner thing to say buy I can't do it anymore! Sometimes I want to spin something that isn't approximately the same gauge as sewing thread."

I feel rather presumptious trying to tell "the secret" to spinning bulky slubby yarn, especially since I'd love nothing more than to be spinning sock-weight, and I can't seem to get down past light worsted or DK weight. But, I use larger strips of roving.. I slow down and force myself to draft more, and as for the slubs.. I draft a long piece, put some twist in it so it doesn't pull apart later, and then make the yarn pretty thin just after that, so most (but not all!) the twist goes to that part.

1 Comments:

At 6:16:00 AM, Blogger Ragnar said...

Always a good idea to have some baby shite around, you never know when people will start breeding.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home