09 February 2006

Well, it's here. The thing I've been alluding to and haven't mentioned. My Babe Production Double Treadle wheel.

And I'm frustrated. I've been attempting to use it, but failing miserably. I still can't draft.. I don't understand why. The best thing I've discovered I can do is pull the roving into the size strips I think I'll need to twist together to make the size yarn I want, and then just let it twist. I don't want to have to do that, however.

Secondly, I'm getting waaaaaay too much twist. I guess it's because my hands are going so slow because I'm pathetically trying to draft. Photo evidence:






So, I live about two hours south of Nashville, Tennessee. Who wants to come over and give me spinning lessons? :P

2 Comments:

At 6:28:00 PM, Blogger Beverley said...

HI

You don't know me , I am a spinner and knitter who lives in New Zealand. When you draft which hand is holding the sliver/ fleece? If it is the left hand you need to move that back as you draft. Some new spinners make the mistake of trying to "pull" the fibre from the supply with the right hand instead of drafting back. Without seeing what you are doing I can't be sure. But hope this is some help. There are some good beginner spinner books out there , try the library. Do keep at it as it will suddenly fall into place. I took a class to learn it must be so hard to learn by yourself!!

Regards

Beverley

>^..^<

A fellow knitting olympian!!

 
At 6:52:00 PM, Blogger Beverley said...

Hi

Just me again! duh! I mean draft back with the left while pinching the first finger and thumb of the right to stop the twist entering the drafting zone until you are ready to let it.

Drop the ratio, twists per inch on the wheel down to the lowest as well until you get the hang of it.

The trick is to hold the fleece/fibre "lightly" with the left and it should just "flow" back.

I do hope this is some help , it took me a week or so to get the knack, I decided the only way to learn was to spin everyday so did 1-2 hours a day. Soon picked it up that way. Good luck!

>^..^<

 

Post a Comment

<< Home